Wednesday 7 November 2018

The Big Marl

The Big Marl popped up in my Ravelry pattern highlights the day it was released. Sent me straight to my stash, then to my swift and ball-winder. This project absolutely eats yarn; I can see why Beata designed it, it's fun, simple and great for single skeins of hand-dyed yarn.



I haven't used a single scrap of Hedgehog Fibres in mine. I've used nearly all the yarns I bought at the Wool@J13 knitting/yarn festival earlier this year.


I feel as though I'm getting over hand-dyed yarns right now, so I can appreciate them but I'm becoming less impulsive with buying them (almost). It's funny, they're lovely things to own but they make me feel a bit wrong when I have a LOT of them, it feels so excessive to me. A few years ago I think my stash was pushing 70, it really was getting to the point where it was making me feel greedy, there was yarn stuffed and stacked everywhere and I would still have to buy more for certain pattern releases...
Then there is the small matter of changing taste in yarn, so I found that my taste was changing faster than I could knit my stash.
EBay has been brilliant as I've gradually worked through my stash (selling it), eBay is a great place to sell yarn, unravelled Shetland Spindrift, unravelled Lopi, scraps of this and that, even my own hand-dye experiments - all sold, gone, money recouped.

I have a guilty pleasure on ravelry, I like to look at yarn collectors' stashes, real collectors. I simultaneously marvel at and recoil at the crazy amount some people have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Featured post

The 30 day knitting challenge in one post because I am lazy

Questions and idea from the hero complex via Helenknitsuk 's blog (a Ravelry contact who knits amazing blankets). What was your firs...